skip to main content
About Us
School History

On September 29, 1919, at the present address of 700 Martin Luther King Drive, Chambers County Training School opened its doors for students. The school was built on land purchased from Nepton Adams and his wife Lucy, who were merchants and the largest black land owners in LaFayette at the time. Chambers County Training School held its first high school graduation in 1928. In 1948 the structure burned, and a more modern structure was built at the same location in 1949.

The structure was expanded during the tenure of John P. Powell (1954-1976) to include another wing of classrooms, a library, and gymnasium that was also used as the cafeteria. The school ceased being a high school in 1969 with the dismantling of the state’s dual system of public education. Grades 4-7 remained at the school and the name was changed to Southside Middle School. Later, the 8th grade would return to the building from the high school. With the beginning of the 1995-96 school year, grades 6-8 were located at the present building and continue to be housed there today. Grades 4-5 moved to Eastside Elementary. On November 14, 1999, dedication ceremonies were held re-naming Southside Middle School-John P. Powell Middle School in honor of long-time educator and principal Mr. John Perry Powell.
Our Mission
J. P. Powell Middle School's faculty, staff, and community will develop students who will be academically and socially ready for the next level of education.

The Chambers County Schools Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.
LAFAYETTE, AL
Contact Us
John P. Powell Middle School
700 Martin Luther King Drive
Lafayette, AL 36862
(334) 864-8876
Fax (334) 864-8169
Webmaster: clarks@chambersk12.org